Wednesday, March 07, 2018

IWSG: Celebrating Goals

It's the first Wednesday of the month, so if you've been following my blog for a while, you know it's time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group post. You can learn more about the IWSG online, Facebook, and Twitter. Our cohosts this month are Mary Aalgaard, Bish Denham, Jennifer Hawes, Diane Burton, and Gwen Gardner.

For March, we've been asked the following question: How do you celebrate when you achieve a writing goal/finish a story?

 I don't do anything to celebrate finishing a short story, but I have a tradition of finishing first drafts of novels with these lines: The End! 
The Very, Very, Very End! (Amen!) 
A Book Report on Peter Rabbit!


Rather than ask people to guess where that came from, I'll tell you: it's from "The Book Report," from the musical You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown:



I saw the musical performed when I was in school (I think middle school), and the final lyrics just stuck in my head. Of course, I do remove them during revision, but it's still a fun way for me to mark the end of the first draft.

As for celebrating other goals, I treated my family to dinner the first couple of times I published a book, but I don't think I've done that for the last few. I didn't plan anything special for completing the Season Avatars series last year, probably because I was too busy with the marketing. It's never too late to celebrate, is it?

What do you do to celebrate your goals? Feel free to share in the comments.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's funny. And a clever way to say the end. Do your critique partners see it?

PT Dilloway said...

That's a good tradition .

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Alex, I usually remove the line before I show my story to someone else.

Thanks, Pat!

Unknown said...

awww, that's cute. I love Snoopy. And no, it's never too late to celebrate.

Gina Gao said...

This is so cute! Thank you for sharing.

www.ficklemillennial.com

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I'm glad you liked it, K.A. and Gina!

Site Meter