Monday, May 15, 2017

Summer Writing

As the weather gets warmer and sunnier, it's tempting to spend time outside, away from the computer. I have the window open in my office, but it feels like a waste of a nice day to be indoors. (Though since my son is sick, we can't do anything today anyway.) Once school ends next month, we won't have to worry about homework or school activities, though there will be other things to replace it.

They say the best way to deal with temptation is to give into it. One way I cope with summer's call is to go for a walk in the morning. It's cooler then (an important consideration as summer progresses), and that way even if it's a workday or we have other plans, I've been outside at least once. 

Although I have tried bringing my computer outside, screen glare makes it difficult to see anything. Finding a shady spot helps. My smartphone has an outdoor setting; perhaps newer laptops have something similar. Alternatively, I could always write the old-fashioned way, with pen and paper.

Do you have trouble focusing on writing when the weather is nice, or do you shut yourself away from the weather and ignore it? Do summer schedules make a difference in your routine? Feel free to discuss in the comments.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's so hot and humid here, once summer hits, I gladly hide inside and dread the times I'll have to go outside to mow the lawn. We go out more in the winter.

PT Dilloway said...

Glare is annoying on my netbook but I just power through it.

Maria Zannini said...

In a couple of weeks, I won't be able to stay outside past 10am.

For this reason, I get as much stuff done outside while I can. By June, we'll be doing most of our work indoors. Good for me because I have lots of writing and design jobs lined up.

Sometimes it's hard to schedule things in between the weather, but other times they fall into place by themselves.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

That's why I like walking in the morning before it gets too warm, Alex.

Pat, sometimes my son covers his head with his coat to cut down glare when he uses his iPad in the car. I've even copied him when I'm a passenger.

Good to know you're busy, Maria! Hopefully by next month I'll be ready to discuss Summon the Seasons with you.

Site Meter