Monday, November 30, 2015

Writing on a Smartphone

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I spent my Thanksgiving break seeing friends and family, trooping in two parades as a Jawa, and doing housework and laundry. I got some writing done, but never as much as I would like. That's why I tried writing with my smartphone this weekend. I have both Dropbox and Microsoft Office on my phone, so I saved my WIP to Dropbox and opened it on my phone. It took a while to get to the end of the document (I had to use Find on a word I'd used recently), and while I didn't have to write out whole words, formatting was more complicated. It's not as easy as writing with a regular computer, but it would be helpful for getting more writing time in--though it might compete with reading time.

Have you tried writing on a smartphone? Would you rather use that or paper?

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, that would be tiny. Writing on my iPad is small enough.
Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Spent mine with friends and family both and got all the Christmas decorations up this weekend.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

We also put up the Christmas decorations, Alex.

Maria Zannini said...

I avoid writing on my Smartphone. I'm not nimble enough to use two fingers.

PS That picture you posted on FB with you keeping your little Jawa warm was absolutely adorable.

PT Dilloway said...

I hate typing on less than a full keyboard but then I learned the home row technique.

Anonymous said...

I love the spontaneity of writing my thoughts on a smartphone and you are right, it helps to write much more, but I've lost many of my poems writing on unreliable software...and now I resort to good old notepads and the sturdy word doc!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks, Maria!

Pat, I prefer a full keyboard too. That's why I have a netbook instead of a tablet.

Hi neel! Sometimes I print out the last page of my WIP and write on it by hand.

Anonymous said...

Good for you Sandra! I've written a good chunk of my books on an iPhone. Of course, obviously it is far better to use a full size keyboard on a laptop or desktop but the truth is I write in my part time when not at work. Often I could be a lunch hour of peace and quiet in a coffee shop, library or pub. I find I can write 500 words with my thumbs on a horizontal iPhone using Notes or Dropbox - both of which auto sync to my home mac. I have found that I can write like this ok but editing is much harder to cut and paste and I avoid this.
Dave

Site Meter