Monday, February 10, 2014

Blog Ring of Power: T.E. Ridener

Today on the Blog Ring of Power we have T.E. Ridener. My part of the interview deals with The Creative Life; you can find the other parts of the interview at the links below:





About You
The Creative Process
About Your Current Work
Words of Wisdom

What has been the most surprising reaction to something you’ve written?

I think that’s a close toss-up between a woman who read Blood Betrayal and her simple reply was “holy sh**”, and then my friend in Maine reading The Rochester Reaping and threatening my life on the phone afterwards.  Either way, I take great joy in some of the responses I get after someone finishes a book.  I’m all about the element of surprise (please read that in Count Olaf’s voice).  Just remember that for future reference.

What is the strongest criticism you’ve ever received as an author? The best compliment?

I had a really, really unpleasant review on my short story Blood Betrayal: Lilith.  I mean, this girl just gave me pure hell over my writing and the story as a whole.  I think, had she read Blood Betrayal beforehand, she might’ve been a wee bit nicer, but you never know.  You just never know what’s going on when people post reviews.  They could just be having a bad day, or your book is simply not their cup of tea.  I suppose she needed A LOT of sugar or something, because I don’t think there was any pleasing her.  I took it with a grain of salt and moved on.
As for the best compliment, I think my favorite compliment (I get it a lot) is when people tell me that my characters are relatable.  I enjoy that.  I like that I create characters people can get close to, or feel like they’ve known them for a long time.  I actually take a lot of pride in having the ability to do that.

Other than your family, what has been your greatest source of support?

Hands down, my facebook friends.  Yes, I am talking about the people who like my author page, but I don’t see them as a number.  I like to learn names and locations, and I love talking to them.  These people (800 and counting), have become one of the greatest support systems a person could ask for.  I have 5 or so that beta read for me, and their encouragement is so priceless.  I adore each and every single person who takes the time out of their day to tell me how much they enjoy my stories.  My family has always been amazing and without a doubt will continue to be, but I am often overwhelmed by the love I receive through facebook.  You guys rock!

How do you deal with rejection and/or negative reviews?

The first time I got a bad review, I cried. I bawled like a little baby.  I curled up in my bed and sobbed loudly for an entire evening, and I even considered giving up on writing right then and there.  “Somebody didn’t like my story?” “What?! No! That’s not allowed!”  “Oh my god, I must be the worst writer in existence.”
Yes, this all happened.  This is based on a true story.  This was the first review I ever received in which I was told I had absolutely zero talent and I should not quit my day job.  It was rather mean and nasty now that I think about it.  She didn’t even try to point out where I could make improvement, so it makes me wonder.  However, once the tears stopped flowing and my breathing regulated, I showed the review to my dad and stepmom.
My stepmom’s words still ring clear as a bell in my head from time to time.  “Did you write that book?”  “Yes.”  “Did you enjoy writing it?”  “Yes.”  “Do other people enjoy reading it?”  “Yes.”  “Does it have special meaning to you?”  “Yes.”  “Then what that review says shouldn’t matter.  You won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s okay.”
So..I have learned over the years that; 1. One must develop tough skin. 2. You most certainly will not be everyone’s cup of tea.
You just have to let the negativity roll off your back like water on a duck, or something like that.  Take a step back, take a deep breath, and smile. 

What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine? Do you use pen and paper or computer? Work at home or at the library/Starbucks, etc.


My writing process usually involves the mood striking me and me sitting down to type it out.  I don’t have a ‘regular routine’, but I have found that I am most productive between the hours of 6am and 2pm, though this can vary.  I prefer to use my computer, but you can find me with a pen and paper in hand if I’m out somewhere.  I do most of my work at home, unless I’m out and about for a doctor’s appointment or something like that.





T.E. Ridener resides in the small community of Gray, Kentucky with her equally eccentric yet amazingly interesting family. Miss Ridener has written a handful of novels as well as various short stories during her career as a writer. When she is not writing, she enjoys listening to nearly every genre of music, watching movies, and spending time with her niece and nephew. Her greatest accomplishment to date has been The Blood Betrayal Series, with characters she dreamed up while she was still a teenager. She believes that the Blood Betrayal Series will go far one day, despite the overrating of vampires in the past few years. According to her, vampires will -never- go out of style even if their fashion choices do!

Blog:
Facebook page:
Goodreads author page:
Twitter:
Amazon Author Page:
Other: (Google +)

From the moment we are born, we accept that a day will come when our lives must end.
That is not the case for 23 year old Ren Croswell.

Ren died a few short months before his 24th birthday and he’s been stuck in the Colgrove cemetery for the past five years. He’s made some friends and it’s not all that bad, but there is one thing that won’t settle in his restless soul; he isn’t supposed to be dead.

23 year old Hannah Benoit moved to Colgrove, Kentucky in hopes of escaping her past. One can only handle being ‘the girl who sees ghosts’ for so long. This new town will give her a clean slate and a fresh start, but nothing can prepare her for what she’s about to find.

On Halloween, the one day of the year when Ren can walk among the living, everything will change. Death promised him it would be different this year, but there’s no possible way Ren could’ve known the true reason for his sudden and mistaken demise. Hannah will discover that her blessing of a curse was given to her for a reason, and they will both find what they’ve been looking for this entire time; the truth, and each other.

You won’t see it coming.

----------

Transition is a New Adult Fantasy novella that will accompany a future series from T.E. Ridener, currently untitled. If you are under 18, please be aware there is strong language in this novella from time to time, and sexual situations are implied.

Amazon Ebook for now. Print will come later.

No comments:

Site Meter