Friday, March 15, 2013

Science of the Week 3/15/13

First, thanks to everyone who stopped by for Indie Life and the Wormhole Blog Hop! I checked out some of the Indie Life posts, but I still have to make the wormhole rounds. If only there was a wormhole that would give me more hours in the day--but then I'd only have more work to do, wouldn't I?

If it's the Ides of March--or of any other month--you can find me at Scene 13. Today I attempt to answer the question of whether luck or perseverance is more important for publishing success. Naturally, me being me, I have to bring a third factor into the equation. Stop by the blog to see what it is. Before you go, here are some of the most interesting science news articles I read this week:

Using DNA to archive the past for the future

Flabbergasting quantum refrigerator like "window A/C for Lincoln Memorial" 

"Metasurfaces" to usher in new optical technologies

Astronomers observe planets around another star like never before

Way more Earth-sized planets in habitable zones than thought

Breaking the final barrier: room-temperature electrically powered nanolasers

Biological wires carry electricity thanks to special amino acids

First remote recon of another solar system 

Creating indestructible self-healing circuits

And of course it would be remiss of me not to include a link to the latest news on the Higgs boson, which is looking even more Higgsy these days. However, scientists still don't know if it's the exact Higgs boson they were looking for. I think it would be more exciting if this Higgs boson does turn out to be a little different from what scientists predicted.

Have a good weekend, and see you Monday!














3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think I managed to hit most of the wormhole blogfest posts. Monday will be even scarier as there's a hundred and fifty signed up for my movie blogfest. I can do it!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Ah, but how do you do it, Alex?

PT Dilloway said...

A quantum refrigerator sounds like a fridge that stores stuff in a parallel universe.

Site Meter