Monday, March 11, 2013

Blog Ring of Power--Beth Barany

I always enjoy having BroadUniverse members over for a Blog Ring of Power interview. Today I get to start the interview with Beth Barany, author of Henrietta--The Dragon Slayer and Henrietta and the Dragon Stone. The interview continues tomorrow with Dean and The Writing Life, Wednesday with Terri and The Creative Process, Thursday with T.W. and About Your Current Work, and finishes Friday with Emily and Words of Wisdom.

How long have you been writing?

I’ve been writing since I was 7 years old, stories, poems, and little songs. That’s over 30 years. LOL

When and why did you begin writing?

I got serious about writing fiction, really mastering fiction, about 14 years ago, when, at 30 years old, a rejection from journalism graduate school got me focused on what I really wanted: to be a novelist! Before then I had been working part-time as a journalist. At age 22, I got my first nonfiction article published in the Paris Free Voice, in Paris, France, while I was working in the City of Lights as an au pair.

What genre do you write?

I write fantasy and paranormal romance of teens and adults. All my stories involve magic, adventure with women, some element of the French middle ages, and romance.


What is your favorite theme/genre to write about?

I love writing about empowerment for girls and women. How does a young woman find her place in the world as a leader? How does she wield power responsibly? What is power with versus power over for a young woman who wants love and acceptance, and struggles to discover the right from wrong?

If you couldn’t be an author, what would your ideal career be?

What a fun question! I've daydreamed about being an urban planner. That’s kind of like a fantasy author that designs worlds! I see vacant lots and daydream about putting in gardens. I see parks and buildings oriented in the wrong direction and want to shift things. I see traffic patterns that sputter and empty downtowns that could be vibrant, if only… Yeah, designing cities could be fun!





Beth's Links


Blog:
Facebook page:
Goodreads author page:
Twitter:
Amazon:
Smashwords:

Is your book in print, ebook or both? Both!

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At least you get to be an urban planner in your books. Congratulations, Beth!

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Beth, it's good that you finally got to do what you wanted to.

Howdy, Sandra.

Beth Barany said...

Alex, So true! And I love it!

J.L., I love it!

Thanks for stopping by, both of you, and thanks to Sandra for hosting me on the first stop!

Site Meter