Thursday, January 19, 2012

Science of the Week, 1/20/12

It must be time for more science.

Electron's negativity cut in half by supercomputers

Electrons are fundamental particles that can't be split. However, supercomputers allow scientists to conduct virtual experiments that do split simulated electrons apart to study their behavior. In the experiments, the electrons condensed at supercool temperatures and behaved collectively as a superfluid.

Although I read some other interesting news articles on Science Blogs, this was the only one that I felt merited a link here.

Did any of you come across some interesting science news this week? If not, did you learn something else?

Edit: Whoops, this published too early! Sorry about that. I'll just leave it here for Friday. Have a good weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

Rusty Carl said...

It seems like I learned something this week I found very interesting at the time... now I have no idea what it was. I guess I didn't learn anything after all. Oh well.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

There was a cool post on BLASTR that went over the different kinds of planets that have been discovered. They found one that is a huge diamond, another that is so black it is less reflective than black paint...it was a really interesting read.

Johanna Garth said...

Very cool!I wonder what the superfluid does?

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Maybe it'll come back to you, Rusty.

Michael, I think I remember blogging about some of those planets earlier.

I don't know what the superfluid does, Joanna, but it would be interesting to find out.

Site Meter