Sunday, January 01, 2012

Reading Report for 2011

Welcome to 2012! How many of your New Year's resolutions have you broken so far? ;)

As you probably know if you'd poked around the blog, I've been tracking everything I've read (with the exception of cereal boxes, work-related stuff, etc) last year. I thought it would be fun to take a look at what I've read.

The grand total was 166 items finished. (Three I didn't finish due to lack of time.) This includes nineteen magazines and eight short stories published independently on Amazon, for a grand total of 139 books read. Of those books, twenty were paper.

Here's the breakdown by genre:

Science Fiction--16
Fantasy--68
Mystery--12
Non-Fiction--23
Other--9
YA--11

And here are my favorites by genre:

Science Fiction--The Clockwork Rocket
Fantasy--The Night Circus
Mystery--I'm not sure I can pick a specific book, but I did like the Crochet Mystery series
Non-Fiction--For writing, I would pick Flogging the Quill; for science, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
YA--The Hunger Games is an obvious choice, but I would also recommend Rampant
Self-Published--I really loved the humor of "Smite Me, Oh Dark Lord."

This year, my goal is to read 120 books. I picked this number before looking at my stats for 2011, so now it seems a little low. My tracking on the blog broke down toward the end of the year, after I joined Goodreads. It's much more convenient to track books on that site, but it doesn't work as well for magazines. I'll probably skip tracking my read item here, so if you want to follow along with my reading, please feel free to friend me on Goodreads. My author profile is here if that helps.

Did you track your reading for 2011? What were some of your favorites?

4 comments:

Catherine Stine said...

Hi
I didn't officially track my reading, but some faves were FROST by Marianna Baer and CHIME by Franny Billingsley. I'm on Goodreads, I'll friend you over there. (Just bought your book for kindle). The first few pages are good!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I've heard good things about Chime, but I'm not familiar with Frost.

I accepted your friend request, Catherine. Looking forward to seeing what you're reading. Thanks for buying my book; I hope you enjoy it!

Connie Keller said...

I've never kept track of my reading, but it sounds like a great idea. I guess it'll be my one resolution for 2012.

Happy New Year.

Rusty Carl said...

I didn't start trying to track things until I got on Goodreads, and even then it wasn't until I had been on for 9 or 10 months that I actually started recording everything I could there. I'm glad I do it because it lets me see some of the things I might have forgotten about if they weren't there.

Site Meter