Monday, November 14, 2011

Second-Book Stall

Dean Wesley Smith put up an interesting post over the weekend called
“The New World of Publishing: 95% of All Authors Will Never Indie Publish.” He admits this number is a guess, but he raises some good points about the thoughts that go through writers' heads, discouraging them from either trying to indie publish or to stop after putting out just a couple of books. No matter how you feel about traditional or indie publishing, I think it's worth a read. At the very least, it's worth knowing you're not the only author out there with negative thoughts in your head. ;)

Have you ever suffered from a second-book stall, where after completing the first project, you struggle to start, finish, or submit/publish your next project? How did you get out of that?

4 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

Having seen a list of crap a prominent agent wants to read, I feel more comfortable about self-publishing because "the system" isn't really the best barometer of whether you can write or not anymore.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

"The system" is set up to sell books, so I think it's designed to judge commercial appeal, not necessarily quality. Though what one person considers crap, another might consider treasure.

Connie Keller said...

I e-pubbed my first novel and am working on the second (first draft is finished). But it's harder this time--e-pubbing is hard. Doing your own promotion, making decision after decision and then second-guessing them all. It's a good thing I was born stubborn--sometimes it's the only thing that keeps me going. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

It is a lot of work to self pub. I've never had problems getting the next project ready to go but I know author who have.

Site Meter