Friday, January 14, 2011

Science of the Week 1/14/11

Here are some of the most interesting science news stories I read this week:

Drug may be useful in treating Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

New form of "frozen smoke" made
(a strong aerogel with a huge surface area)

Some thunderstorms produce anti-matter

A new glass as tough as steel

A blood-testing lab on a chip

Climate change expected to continue at least until 3000 A.D.

Redesigning streets to avoid left turns makes them safer and faster

Possible drug target for prion (mad cow) disease


Have a good weekend!

4 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I laughed at the one about streets that are right turn only. Whenever I run errands, I try to plan my trips to avoid left turns! LOL..

Have a great day.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Smart thinking, Marianne! When I need to get gas, I prefer to use a gas station on the right-hand side of the road. It's much easier than trying to cross the street.

Golden Eagle said...

I read a book on mad cow disease (Going Bovine by Libba Bray) and I've always wondered since then if they'll find a cure.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I've heard good things about that book, Golden Eagle. How did you like it?

Site Meter