Sunday, January 02, 2011

My 100-Word Sentence

Welcome to my first post of 2011! I'm in the middle of redesigning my blog. I've picked a new template to have access to some of Blogger's features, but I still need to find some new images to personalize the background.

Last month, Elana Solodow set up a blogfest challenging people to write 100-word sentences for a cash prize. I figured an epic sentence of that length required an epic topic. Fortunately, I had some inspiration from an epic reading project. Here's my sentence about reading all of Shakespeare's poems and plays; it comes in at exactly 100 words.

I have spent about six weeks reading the complete works of William Shakespeare on my Kindle, and while I haven’t understood every archaic term, I’ve reminisced about performances I’ve watched, revisited old friends, discovered new villains, seen Greco-Roman and English history come to life, shared favorite passages and sonnets on Facebook, traveled to a fantastic island and the moors of Scotland, learned about human nature, marveled at Shakespeare’s command of blank verse and figurative language, and wondered what the total death count is; although I’ve read several books since finishing my project, even the best ones can’t match the Bard.



The contest runs through the end of this month, so there's plenty of time to write your own 100-word sentence and post it on your blog, Facebook profile, or Twitter account. Remember, the more people who enter, the higher the prize will be!

6 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Good for you! This isn't something I could accomplish. Best of luck with your entry!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks, Mary!

Dan said...

What a good idea for the sentence. I love Shakespeare.

Dan

Melissa Sugar said...

I love Shakespeare and your 100 word sentence is great.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Dan and Sugar, it's always nice to meet more Shakespeare fans!

Elena Solodow said...

You are officialy entered. Thanks for joining!

Site Meter