Friday, May 14, 2010

Uncle Karl

I've been debating about whether I should blog about this or not. I finally decided it was too important not to.

I found out about two weeks ago my Uncle Karl had bladder cancer. Apparently he had had some symptoms since last year, but they were initially diagnosed as something else. By the time they figured out it was cancer, it had already spread. Other medical conditions he had made treatment options very limited. Ultimately he requested no life support be given, just pain medication. He passed away last Friday, a week after being admitted to the hospital. Eugene and I were able to see him last Monday. I'm not sure if he knew we were there, but at least I got to say goodbye. We will be going to the funeral today--a lovely way (NOT!) to end a grueling week at work.

So make sure to visit your relatives regularly and tell them you love them. And make sure you get yourself checked out at the doctor regularly too. My aunt has asked donations be made to this cancer prevention organization. Sometimes the best way to remember someone is to do something good in his or her name.

2 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Having lived through the same, that's good advice.

So sorry about your Uncle Karl. I'm glad you were there for him.

Eric said...

I am so sorry, Sandra. The fact that you felt compelled to blog about this however, shows how much your uncle was loved. I wish you eventual peace, coupled with the memories of him that make you smile.

Site Meter