Saturday, February 06, 2010

A 21st Century Brain Under a 19th Century Hat

Just how much do you love history? Sure, the Victorian era fascinates you, but would you really want to live there? Apparently, some people do. CNN has an interesting article, complete with a slide show, about people who regularly dress up in clothing from different eras, from the Victorian era to the 1940s or 1950s. (I wonder if there are people who dress in pre-Victorian styles.) These people aren't just Civil War re-enactors; they wear these clothes at home, on the street, or even at work. The "timewarpians," as some of them call themselves, choose this lifestyle as a reaction to the values of the modern world. Given the behavior some of the reality shows seem to encourage, I can't blame them. But timewarpians don't avoid all modern conveniences; they use social networking sites to meet others with similar interests. Since the timewarpians are becoming more visible and accessible, they sound like a great resource for writers looking for information about historical eras. They could tell you more than what the clothing looked like; they could tell you how it felt to wear it.

As for me, I love my jeans and wouldn't want to wear a long dress in the lab. However, I do find 1940s style of clothing appealing. I doubt I could find anything vintage in my size, though!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There are these great reality TV shows on PBS that take people and put them back in time. 1900 house and Pioneer house.. etc. I bet they are on HULU.

I wear vintage clothes. Some great crafts people go to antique fairs and sell new clothes made out of vintage fabric with vintage patterns, but today's sizes... you could look for them there.

When I am writing in a period, I like to dress like the characters sometimes. So I can feel the "fabric of their lives" FUN. Nice post.

Site Meter