Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The WisCon That Almost Wasn't

I was so busy over WisCon that I didn't have time to blog or Twitter about it. So here's my recap:

Friday--After dropping Alex off at daycare in the morning, I ran a bunch of errands before coming home to pack. As if figuring out what clothes I wanted to bring wasn't hard enough, I also had to pack Alex's gear. I overdid it a bit with toys and books, but keeping a toddler entertained is important. Around 3:00, I got a call from daycare telling me Alex had vomited and I needed to pick him up. He was acting fine when I got there, so I thought perhaps it was a fluke. Eugene was home when we arrived, so after we dealt with Alex's tantrum (he wanted to go to the park) and packed the car, we were off to Madison. We ran into a few slow spots on the highway, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since I couldn't remember where I'd put my Revolver CD, I had to play "Yellow Submarine" repeatedly on my laptop to keep Alex happy. At least I got some writing done along the way.

We checked in and went out for dinner. I missed the opening ceremonies, but I was able to pick up my badge. Alex didn't want to eat his pizza; he mainly had apple juice. We put him to bed in a Pack'n'Play from the hotel and went to sleep ourselves.

All was well until 2:00 or so in the morning, when we heard Alex coughing a whole lot. Then he threw up, getting it all over him. As if that wasn't bad enough, he was burning with fever. Eugene ran out to a 24-hour Walgreens for a thermometer and Tylenol. After we dosed him, we put him in our bed between us. He threw up again, this time partly on Eugene. We tried to sleep, but I was thinking we might have to drive back home in the morning.

It's getting late, so I'll post more of the story tomorrow....

No comments:

Site Meter