Saturday, February 11, 2006

Live From Madison, It's Sandra's Blog!


For the rhythm of my heart is beating like a drum,
With the words "I love you" rolling off my tongue,
Never will I roam, for I know my precious home,
For the city of four lakes I am driving.

I think of these (slightly modified) lyrics from Rod Stewart's "The Rhythm of My Heart" every time I come back to Madison. I fell in love with the city the first time I came here for state forensics as a teenager, and even though I now live in the Chicago area, I think of myself as a "Madisonian in exile." So when Eugene decided to come up here for some continuing education classes, I wanted to come with him. Of course, the fact that I'm married to him might play a small part in that too.

We got in last night and had sushi. Today, while Eugene was in his seminar, I went to Picnic Point and took some pictures with Oscar. I'll post them later on the website. Then, after navigating the detours through campus, I went to State Street. I hung out in a coffeehouse for a while, then bought some clothes at Wintersilks, had lunch at the Himalyan restaurant, and picked up a few thing at University Book Store. State Street has changed since the last time I was here; a few more stores, like Discount Den, are gone. Even The Pipefitter will be moving when its lease runs out. But it's still good to visit. Tonight we're going to have dinner with Sara and Brian. More later!

3 comments:

Russ said...

Oh, man, I'm jealous! Good old bohemian Madison. That campus did us all so much good. It's so different from everything immediately surrounding it - in fact, now that I think about it, it is probably the reason I decided to move East after college - it has so many East Coast types, I suppose that's a big part of it's "different" identity. Anyhow, I'm jealous. Hope you guys had a great time there!

Anonymous said...

I KNEW IT!!!! I knew there was a reason you all loved Madison so much. It's because it reminds you of New York (not the East Coast, Russ, NEW YORK. Probably the Village.) More reason for you guys to come visit. ;)

mad dog said...

hi, i am an alumni! so glad to see madison picture on your blog! i miss the place!

Site Meter