Saturday, January 14, 2006

Catching Up

Well, after Pompeii and tango on Sunday, the rest of the week was pretty mundane in comparison. So mundane, in fact, that it doesn't make for an interesting blog. It's been a case of get up, go to work, come home, make dinner, work on the computer for a while, and go to bed. Yawn. We did make twenty-clove garlic chicken in our crockpot on Wednesday, so at least I won't have to worry about vampires for the next decade. ;)

Yesterday a few interesting things happened, though I was too lazy last night to blog. First, for those of you who remember my "big drip" entry (I could mention Russ here, since he brought it up, but I won't. Well, maybe I will. :evil grin:) about the water purification system at work, we're still having problems with it. I was revising a document when I heard a popping sound in the lab. I came out of my office and saw that one of the filters had blown out of the system. These aren't small filters; they're over a foot long, and it had flown about six feet. And yes, we had water all over the floor. My boss was passing by when it happened, so we both cleaned it up. We still have no idea what's going on with the unit, but hopefully we won't have to spend the money to replace it.

After dinner last night, Eugene and I did something we haven't done for a while: we played Trivial Pursuit. We're fairly evenly matched, except I have a very obvious weakness in the Sports and Leisure category. But last night Eugene got off to an early lead while I floundered. The answers just weren't coming to me; there was one question that I knew had to be about one of the Beach Boys, but I couldn't think of the very obvious Brian Wilson. After a while, I began to catch up, but I was still down two wedges by the time Eugene got all six of his. Luckily for me, he missed the final question a couple of times, which gave me a chance to catch up. I won in the end, but that was because Eugene didn't read the sports question completely before giving it to me, as it had a big clue embedded in the wording. I'd say overall we split the victories when we play against each other. It's more fun to work together, though. On our honeymoon cruise, we played Team Trivia a couple times a day when we were at sea, and we won three times.

I'm sure Eugene will add this if I don't list it, so I might as well poke fun at myself first. After the game, we were talking about various things, and he said something that inspired me to joke about giving him nose-hair clippers for Valentine's Day. Well, it didn't quite come out that way; I said "nose clippers" instead. We both got a good laugh out of that; just thinking of it now makes me chuckle. For the record, I really don't want to give my husband the Tycho Brahe look. Beside, I already have a pair of pruning shears that I use on Mr. Ficus to lop off his branches. I'm sure they will work on someone's nose as well.

OK, that's about it. Time for me to finish my chores (clean the kitchen, vacuum, hand-wash some placemats, and cook wheat berries), so I can then finish my last crit for Sue and maybe get some writing of my own done. I've been doing lots of crits this week and have been making some progress with Key, but I really need to return to Day of All Seasons again. It's not fair to the people who are waiting to give my next chapter some well-needed tough love.

No comments:

Site Meter