Monday, December 26, 2005

The Holidays Part Two: With the Almazans

Yesterday (Christmas Day) was my father-in-law's 65th birthday, so we had a special surprise party for him to celebrate. It was at the same venue where Eugene and I had our reception; those of you who were there can imagine my excitement at returning. My mother-in-law had the food brought in by a Filipino caterer; I don't think I can spell the names of the dishes properly, but at least I can describe them. There was sticky rice, fish, beef, noodle casseroles called pansit or ponsit (see, I told you I can't spell these dishes), fried shrimp, "stuffed chickenless chicken," and a roast pig. There were probably about a hundred people there, though I'm not sure as some of them came in later. My father-in-law was quite surprised by the party; he didn't even realize that Jason, Eugene's youngest brother, had moved his karoke machine to the hotel. He was very touched by the whole affair, though. After dinner, Jason and his mom gave a slide show presentation of pictures of his father from his teenage years to the present. Then my father-in-law got to open a gag gift from his partner (and one of our wedding sponsors) Jan, featuring all sorts of things he would need at his age. Then Eugene and his brothers gave short but moving speeches about their father and what he meant to them. In particular, they pointed out the legacy he had in the many friends who had come to the party and his inspiring generosity to others. Then there was a cake and dancing. Everyone had a good time--especially when they came up to me and asked if I was pregnant yet. In case you're wondering, the baby is on backorder. We'll let you know when it's here. I think I need to write that on a sign and carry it with me to all family events. ;)

I've tried to upload some pictures three times now, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'll try again later.

No comments:

Site Meter